Sunday, November 3, 2019

Grandmama's Sandwiches


Today is National Sandwich Day. Grandmama told me that sandwiches were named for the Earl of Sandwich who needed to reach his armed forces quickly and didn't have time to sit for dinner, so he asked the servant to just put a piece of meat between two slices of bread and he would take it with him. Thus, the sandwich was born. To my understanding, there are many variations of this legend, but they all agree that the sandwich was named for the 4th Earl of Sandwich.

Grandmama enjoyed making sandwiches for lunch. She had some unusual but crazy tasty combinations. Here are my favorites:

The Tomato Sandwich:
Peeled, ripe tomatoes, toasted white bread, salt and pepper, and mayonnaise (actually, I think she used Miracle Whip, but I don't recommend it)

The Pineapple Sandwich:
4 slices of canned pineapple rings, 1 slice of American Cheese, toasted white bread, and mayonnaise

And my favorite... The Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich - which was just as it sounds

Enjoy National Sandwich Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment