Thursday, October 17, 2019

Maus /Moss

Tuesday I had to review a graphic novel for my awful, but last class of the Instructional Technology master's I am pursuing. Maus by Art Spiegelman depicts the true experience of the author's parents' survival of Auschwitz. This book made me reflect on how WWII affected my grandparents and my mother. Granddaddy served as an MP in Le Mans, France. All of his photos say Requeil France, which I think is the territory where Le Mans is located. No notable battles that I could find took place there. But as horrifying as the experience of reading about the Holocaust is, how much more horrifying must it have been to be in Europe when such atrocities were taking place? I can't imagine. I know it affected my mother a lot to not meet her dad until she was three.

One good thing came out of my granddaddy's time there. He formed a friendship in that French town with a family named Noiseau. They exchanged letters for years after the war, and my mother wrote to their son Roger. He is an author, and the whole family is talented. We have been honored to meet his grandson, David as well, and my niece traveled to Le Mans to see this family and see where my grandfather was stationed. 4 generations of maintaining an international friendship - I think it's pretty unusual and lovely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment